"In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary"
I have been a photographer for 25 years. I purchased my first SLR as a teenager and have been documenting the details of life and our beautiful world ever since. I earned a degree in Communications from Emerson College in Boston, where my concentration was Film and Television production. I went on to a career in marketing and public relations, but always kept a camera in hand as I lived in and traveled to various places in the American west. I see the world around me in terms of light and captured moments – and often the tiniest details become the focus of a large story. In addition to photography, I am an accomplished jewelry designer, and I think that perhaps this attention to miniscule detail stems from this work. Another result of this work with metal, gems and other natural materials is my obsession with texture, In recent years I have gone beyond the visual texture of my photographs to the tangible textures created by printing to various surfaces. My favorites at present are linen and metal.
Galleries, Shows and Exhibitions:
* Westwood Public Library, Main Branch, Westwood, MA "Simplicity" - Solo show, June 1-30, 2014.
* Mass Audubon Moose Hill “Open To Interpretation” – January – March 2014
* Boston Camera Club Member's Exhibition - Calumet Photographic Store, Cambridge, MA. Nov-Dec 2013.
* "Untamed" - Juried Exhibition, Massachusetts Audubon, Moose Hill Gallery. Sharon, MA. September, 2013 - January 2014.
* Arts Affair at Marina Bay, Quincy, MA. August, 2013
*Awarded 3rd Place in Photography*
* ArtsFest Juried Exhibition, Akillian Gallery, Canton, MA.
* Milton Arts Center, “Art In Bloom” Milton, MA April–June, 2013
* UForge Gallery, Jamaica Plain, MA
* “Landscape” – November, 2013
* “Grayscale” – March, 2013
* "Texture" - January, 2013
* “Spectrum” July, 2012
* “Elements” - February, 2012
* Dedham Square Artist Guild, Dedham, MA
October 2011 – Present
* Artist Challenge Series:
* "Pop" - Jan/Feb 2014
* “Making Waves” – Sept/Oct, 2013
* “Guild Spotlight” – August, 2013
* “Nature” – June/July, 2013
* “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” – April/May 2013
* “Sail Away” – March, 2013
*”Cape Cod” – September, 2012
* Roving Galleries:
* Timothy’s Café, Chestnut Hill, MA Spring, 2012
* Kouzina, Dedham, MA May-July 2013,
Sept- Nov, 2012 (“Six Photos On Metal”)
* Isabella, Dedham, MA November 2012-present
* Endicott Library, Dedham, MA Spring 2013
(“Six Photos On Metal”)
* Deli After Dark, Dedham, MA
Feb 2013 – April 2013 (“Big Fun”)
* Roslindale Open Studios, Roslindale, MA. 2014, 2013, 2012
* Zullo Gallery, Medfield, MA
* "20th Annual Juried Exhibition"
September - November, 2014
* "19th Annual Juried Exhibition"
September - November, 2013
* “18th Annual Juried Exhibition”
September - November, 2012
* “Outwitting History”
* “17th Annual Juried Exhibition”
September - November, 2011
* Dedham Open Studios, Dedham, MA. October 2013, May, 2012
* The Center For Arts, Natick, MA - Boston Camera Club Member Exhibition, May 2012
The Jewelry Designer
Melanie Guerra has been creating her line of handmade original baubles for the past 20 years. Her designs are constantly evolving, and currently she works primarily in fine silver, using Precious Metal Clay. She incorporates various gemstones in one-of-a-kind designs. Additionally, there are segments of her collection that are created by hand with wire (sterling, copper, brass) and gemstone beads, glass and other materials from around the world. Two new segments are emerging: enamel work and resin jewelry. Melanie’s jewelry is current and fresh yet timeless, with original designs and expert craftmanship. Custom work is her specialty, and she loves designing unique pieces specifically for a client. Please contact Melanie if you are interested in commissioning Melanie to create your own, custom piece of art jewelry!
Melanie is a graduate of the Gemology program at The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and the Connoisseurship/Appraisal Studies Program at Rhode Island School of Design in conjunction with the American Society of Appraisers.
Melanie is also an experienced teacher of jewelry design and technique, and offers classes through Needham Community Education and privately. If you are interested in private instruction or in setting up a group lesson for your friends, colleagues or employees, please contact Melanie.
Shop for Melanie's Jewelry designs exclusively online or via private trunk show.
* The Shop at Steamboat Art Museum
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Jewelry Design/Technique Instruction:
* Needham Community Education, Needham, MA Wire work, Precious Metal Clay 2014-present
* Dedham Community House, Dedham, MA, Wire work, Precious Metal Clay 2013-present
* Boston Center for Adult Education, Boston, MA Wire work, design theory, gem and jewelry history 2005-2006
* Spark Studio, Somerville, MA Wire work, design theory, gem and jewelry history 2005-2007
* Private instruction for various clients, 2005 - present
Galleries, Shows & Exhibitions:
* Dedham Square Artist Guild, Dedham, MA
2011 - 2014
* Member of Board of Directors
* Artist Challenge Coordinator
* Dedham Open Studios, Dedham, MA 2012, 2013, 2014
* Roslindale Open Studios, Roslindale, MA 2012, 2013, 2014
* Vintage Thymes Monthly Market, Norwood, MA May, 2013
* Center for Visual Arts:
* 'Opening Exhibition', Steamboat Springs, CO March 2009
* Steamboat Art Museum:
*"Local Colors" Exhibition, CO, September 2008
* Jewelry Available in the Museum Shop, 2008-present.
* Steamboat Springs Arts Council:
* Member, 200-2009
* Docent, 2001
*"Member's Exhibition", CO, August 2008
* Wildside Studio, Frisco, CO represented 2007-2008
*"Just Jewelry", 5/07
*"Shades of Grey" 5/08
*"Just Jewelry" 6/08
* Artists' Gallery of Steamboat, Steamboat Springs, CO
Co-Founder, Director of Marketing
* "Visual Poetry", 2/07
* "All-Gallery Show”, 4/07 & 5/07
* "Summertime", 6/07
* "Autumn All-Artists", 10/07 & 11/07.
* Spark Studio, Somerville, MA (instructor and consigner 2005-2007)
* Winter Craft at Brookline Arts Center, Brookline, MA, 2005, 2006, 2007
* Elise Mankes Gallery, Marblehead, MA, represented 2005-2006
* Stylefixx - NYC produced retail designer conventions (2005, 2006);
* Art Attack Gallery, Somerville, MA represented 2004-2006;
* Huckleberries Gallery, Bozeman MT represented 2003-2004;
* Beaux Arts Festival, Steamboat Springs, 2003
* Art on the Mountain at the Steamboat Springs Ski Area, 2002 & 2003
* Fall Foliage Festival, Steamboat Springs, CO, 2002 & 2003
* "Women About Transformation: an Evening of Art, Literature, Style, Music and Dance", 2002